Saturday, April 19, 2014

Going Tubeless - ARRGGG

During the Bogg's pre-ride I decided I needed a new rear tire anyway, might as well go tubeless in the 29er to gain whatever benefit I could.

First I figured out the Rocket Ron's were some of the lightest, fastest and most expensive tires around. Ordered 2 online from "TireManiacs". 2 of the fast guys on the ride, Tim and Ryan, ride the WTB Bronson TCS, so I thought I'd pick one up at REI using my "dividend" and 20% off coupon. Coupon expired, and I found a Cygnolite flasher I just had to have too.

Went to Mikes Bikes the next night after the Internet told me they had complete Stan's Notubes 29er XC kits for my DTSwiss XR 39, a Scott-specific product like a DT Swiss  X470 rim (not tubeless). They did not have the kit, but they did however sell me rim tape, Stans fluid, and 44mm valve stems for a Stans ZTR tubeless rim, which I DO NOT have.

Result was a big mess and broken heart. After frantic pumping for an hour,  I went inside to check the Internet, watched some videos and realized I had the wrong stuff for my RIM! So I ordered 2 XC rim strips for another $50.

The WISEST thing I did was to put a tube inside the new BRONSON and mount it up for a few days to get its bead set and newness off. I rode the bike to work this am, trying to see if I could notice a difference - it just felt heavier. I found the new Rocket Rons had been delivered in the am.

On the ride home from work, I hit something to loose some air out of the rear tire, and then landed very badly on a ledge during a bunny-hop that pinched the tube. Loosing air fast, I did make it home before it was unrideable.

New rim strips were waiting for me. I removed the front Bronson, carefully cleaned with rubbing alcohol and put on the rim strip. It was heavish, and seemed to be providing a step to make the tire fit better. On went the bronson, I put a little soapy water to help it seal, started pumping and suddenly
it was working/sealing, without sealant even! I opened the bead and put in 60-80 ml of Stans fluid, carefully got the bead back on and pumped it up again without spilling anything.  I shook and spun the wheel, added more pressure. It worked!

I pondered not using the new Rocket Ron's at all, just move the front tire to the rear, but I noticed some damage and thinnish sidewall - the new tire's definitely have heavier rubber on the sides. Cleaning the rim, I noticed I had indeed bashed it, and used some pliers to wiggle it out a touch. New rim tape, new rim strip again, and new tire. Terrible, not able to get it to hold anything. Added bubbly water, still no go. Took it to the air-compressor at work. Nadda! Went to compressor at gas station on the way home - still no love.

The step I am missing, besides it not being a Bronson (I love that name), is having it sit with a tube inside for a few days, which is where I left it now. Might take it out for a spin this weekend too, then hope the bead has settled enough to try sealing in some air. Maybe the Old Rocket Ron would have been a better place to start, microholes and all.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I DID get the old front RoRo inflated and even got STANS goop inside, but there was a HOLE/slash in the tire that the slime would not/could not fill.

    Looking like a tubed and tubeless wheelset for me. Need more brake disks? Grrr...

    ReplyDelete