Thursday, September 11, 2014

FM166 Brakeless Test Ride in the Dark

I cleaned up an old Ultegra cassette and put it on the hub, found and old chain and did likewise.
Helmet with blinky and off  I went, then noticed its scary to ride without brakes and a freewheel.

Keeping it slow, I had some vibrations, but the bike seemed solid enough to proceed to order
some TRP Hylex brakes - got a set of 160 rotors Front and Rear figuring worst case I bought
expensive MTB rotors (these will fit the 29er).

I had to shorten the chain and true up the rear wheel a bit. I tried the 53 x something too small, the
chain skipped all over, so now its 39 and something bigger back there.

Shopping for drivetrain, I've decided to go 11 speed Shimano 105 if  I buy new.

In fact, I had a whole fleet vision, the big loser will be the Giant and whatever parts remain
for it. All the 10speed Campy and new Fulcrums go to Big Red Pin, all the carbon (bars, stem, cranks) go to FM166.

So basically best case, I get a 105 rain bike after all this...

No comments:

Post a Comment