Wednesday, April 14, 2021

2 Spokes in 2 Days - breaking Sapim spokes at the threads?

 Needed a place for photos on this one so I thoughts I would post here.

Prepping the bike to ride last night late, I found a spoke hole staring back at me and noticed something rattling around in the rim.

Removed the tire, then rotor, then the cassette, cleaned up with Stans, and the let out the metal - not only the nipple but the chunk of the threads.

Found the spare spokes, used as new nipple, marked the spoke with tape, trued (though it was not out much) and tensioned the new spoke, duct taped the rim, then tire, some air, cassette and rotor back on.

Got it all back together, pumped it to 50lbs, went to bed woke up and rode WMD with the gang.

I scrubbed some air out along the way, everything working fine. We decided on the final leg and I did hear some rattling, I assumed it was my noisy hub or derailleur (each with their own issues and recent maintenance). 

Back home, bike on the stand and I spin the wheel, here noise inside the rim and find another hole staring back at me. It was not the taped spoke, so its a new thing. Took some pictures, and here we are.





Data on what I ordered July 19, 2020:


I reached out to WheelBuilder tech support to see if there is anything I should do before tearing off the tire and duct tape again.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Todd,
    A broken thread is almost always caused by one or both of the following issues. If the spoke alignment is not straight into the rim at the nipple interface there can be a significant bending load applied to the wire through the threaded portion. This can be made worse if the spoke is on the short side, which you can see through the rim cavity. The spoke should protrude through the back of the nipple at a minimum past the screwdriver slot, but ideally flush with the top of the nipple. These are strictly mechanical problems that can be exacerbated by the use of a carbon rim that is not cross drilled properly or built in reverse from the intended cross drilled axis of the nipple hole.

    Rich

    Wheelbuilder, Inc.
    1291 Mountain View Circle
    Azusa, CA 91702
    (626)442-4444
    Hours: Monday-Friday 9:am-5:pm PST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked the rim model to confirm there is an offset - Light Bicycle calls it ADT (Angle Drilling Technology) - https://www.lightbicycle.com/U-shape-29er-rim-30mm-wide-hookless-MTB-bike-carbon-rims-tubeless-compatible.html

      Delete
    2. 5 degree angles, but they are symmetric

      Delete