Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Maintenance Roundup End of 2022

Taking Santa Creme out of commission for the rainy season led to work and use of the other bikes of the fleet.

The Meta HT 29er got to wear the big MudHugger front fender - I could not find a good way to mount he rear without damage so left it off. I still have the front wheel and TIRE, a Nobby Nic, of Ernst, and its working really well - not quite a Minion, but good. I am also riding the Intense Saddle and rear wheel here, with those big bars, just a good solid pedaling platform.

TODO/NEXT: 

  • Needs a new crank, only 3 of 4 bolts in the 175mm 11sp XT


Scout 290. The neighbors took a pass, but I was not too sad. Comment was made about rattling in the rear cassette, and they had a point - the cassette rings had dug into the aluminum freebody carrier. 

The solution? A new DT Swiss Freehub body. After I ordered the Wrong one from Amazon, I ordered the proper part successfully from Worldwide Cyclery.

DT Swiss 3-Pawl Freehub Body - Shimano HG 11 MTN, Standard, Steel, Sealed Bearing, No End Cap

The fix worked GREAT, I started riding the Scout290 a bit, and got into the shorter handlebars - 750-760mm, lots more room at China Camp skinny trails BUT also many more pedal strikes with the added space!

TODO/NEXT: 

  • Nothing, the bike is a hoot as it is. 
  • Maybe move the crank to the Meta and get shorter crank arms to match the shorter bars.

Squirt Lube. My pro-crush on JN continues and so I decided to try his lube. Seems to be working across the fleet so far, holds up well in the wet and has not failed in dust as there has been no dust in December ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment