Wednesday, October 29, 2014

3X Chain Break at Tamarancho

While replacing the rear derailleur on the Scott 29er, I cracked the chain with the big Park chaintool to unstring the old and string the new back on. Not on the master link.

Anyway so I am riding up Alchemist Sunday AM with a "church pass" and at the top the chain gently breaks. I say gently as the only other time I broke a chain it snapped suddenly when standing on the pedals with me hitting the ground instantly. It broke, and the pin still in place I took the mobile tool out of the pack (yes, always bring one!) and put it back together.

3 miles later just past the rock garden, again the chain left me. This time I took out a link assuming it was bent/literally the weak link. Off I went, to and through Endor, and heading up hill past the bridge in the rocks and bam, broken once more, nicely bent.

Got to the end of the loop and after wasting so much time on the chain, I did not have enough time to do another loop. So down the hill and to Sunshine Bike Shop I went. Eric was ready for me and awesome, checked through the derailleur, looked for broken/twisted teeth, straighten the hanger, and sell me a couple of SRAM master links.

Took the bike home, looked for the bad link, added a few replacement links from a Wipperman 10 speed chain and installed one of the master links. I found the one-time-use link finally too. I need to take it out and test it, tough since I am rarely commuting to work by bike these days :/

I wonder if I should have had Eric @ Sunshine just install a new chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment