Tuesday, October 21, 2014

FM166 Project: How NOT to Remove a MEGA EXO Bottom Bracket

Turns out the threading is backwards for bottom bracket cups - rive side is clockwise, despite the BB axle spinning in that direction too. The instructions with my FSA BB tool were WRONG, showing non-drive side as counter-clockwise to loosen.

A breaker bar added to my FSA BB Tool, and a Rubber mallet.
 much damage was done to the notches on the BB shells,
so much the tool began to slip and shear metal - and this was even AFTER I figured out I was loosening the wrong way.

Enter the monkey wrench - the shell exterior was so chewed up, I decided I would be happy just to get the cups off. The tool worked far better than the intended tool, caused far less damage as well.

Note the direction my finger is showing how to LOOSEN the cup.

I ended up using the chewed up cups on the FM166 with the FSA cranks, knowing I could get them off with a monkey wrench next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment