Wednesday, November 11, 2015

That Bike is "Poison" - Full Suspension Project and Learnings


Poison Niner Rip 9

After it went together well, completed the Niner Rip 9 and did 5 rides in a row:

  1. WMD @ SLG, JMP, Roberts and French with Mr C
  2. Tamarancho with GN, made it up the rock face I never did before. The lower link loosened on me too.
  3. WMD @ SLG, with MrC and GN, a little Fern and Pasos
  4. SLG with GN and AC, 3C's and 3PRs to my surprise. Crack hoise no problem. Best climb on face of GNs BigTree hill as well.




After AC and GN swore me to getting a dropper, my co-worker/New Coffee buddy/ex DH pro JN came through with a dropper post to try, a Specialized Command Post 125mm 3 position circa 2011. Its went on smoothly, top position is 1 inch too high, 2nd position is 1/2 inch shorter, and drop is as low as it goes.


I awoke the Sunday after the series of PRs and hill conquests then wondered if I would have a reason to ride the HT again. SO I rode it on today's WMD. Light and quick, but a little harsh and I needed to re-learn how to pick lines. I ended up liking the bike again, but I am not sure I am riding enough to be fluent with 2 bikes. The XT brakes were awesome as usual

Also, the chain kept on skipping and popping - different than usual wear sort of fail, not quite chain suck either. SO when I checked over the bike after the ride, I found the derailleur pulley was flexing all over due to being completely cracked through.

Chain Reaction came through with a $56 replacement, and I threw in a set of XT brakes for Poison as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment