Saturday, June 27, 2020

Blog Rot Catch Up in the Times of Covid

Circa 2000 in Bratislava, Slovakia, proof I maybe did wheelies 
before Ryan Leeches 30 day wheelie challenge...



Nearly July, about right for the gaps in coverage of "BikeFleetNews". The lack of blogging audience followed by the Plague and now "summer" have all conspired to result in a gap, just when it really should have been a time of deep and constant coverage; though the Blog may stop, the bikes and their needs go on.

On to some white guy problems and riding. Able to work from home, still having a paycheck (runway is short however), everyone staying healthy in my family and circles, I have little to complain about personally, though horrified by the general failures and revelations like everyone else. with a heart. But that can be a different set of blogs, lets talk riding and bikes.

The riding has sort of "sucked" for me in Covid times. Everyone with a dog or gym membership has decided to crowd the parks, a whole new layer of people untrained in the ways of dodging and fearing a bicycle on the dirt - imagine! You can't do that! But I am - oh, and stop breathing on me.

The social side of cycling has taken a hit - the social is clearly all thats held me on the road bike, I begrudgingly use it. When I get in a familiar pack of 1 or 2 or 3, its tense. People are driving badly too, BBC email list of stories of people getting hit by cars on normally quiet routes, or others running into pedestrians wandering in the middle of the streets, likely avoiding yet others clogging the sidewalks.

And social of MTB, trying to get out of town for a ride has not happened since Feb. No Taco(ama) days with the G crew. No Tamarancho, and China Camp parking all closed to keep outsiders away. Bridge rides, bike paths choked with walkers wandering, its a race to wake up and ride before its all clogged, in a household where waking hour is now 9 to 11am.

I do come off as whiny, but lets call it my expression of stress - what was my escape and fitness feels crowded out and dangerous.

But the fleet lives on, I will create a bunch of update posts rather than drag on here...




No comments:

Post a Comment