Saturday, June 27, 2020

Scott Scale 29 Expert For Sale and Sold

So its all linked - from the bike cave reorganization, to selling stuff on Nextdoor, to Covid driving a 40% in bikeshop business.

Wha? This is great news, maybe a sliver of good news in these times. People trying to exercise on bikes and do some commuting to avoid the plague.

During the bike cave renovations,  someone on the KT list was looking to see if anyone had a bike to sell to a friend with a $1200 budget. Demand in the industry and trashed supply chains have led to shortages and right here was an example. I volunteered my Scott Scale, and only for $1000. The friend of the KT bud moved on after finding the last L bike at Chain Reaction for $1099, but I was
already cleaning up Scott and making it the race machine it always was.

Original stem, narrow carbon Thompson bars back on. Trail fender off, DHF swapped out for the Ardent 2.4, cleaned up. So I took it for a blasting ride through the Berkeley Hills and San Pablo ridge trail in Wildcat Park. I went fast, the bike does this, and as it does, it often bites back and hurts me. Again, the back. Again not walking well and back to the PT moves for 2 weeks. Enough already, Scott has been biting me for way to long, time to move on!

Bicycle Blue Book is offering like $300-$500. Nope, nearly every part on this thing has been replaced.

I take pics and send to Pro Closet. $820 cash to $940 credit, but I need to pack and ship to Boulder. Maybe, but its work.

THEN I check Craigslist. Plenty of carbon bikes out there for over $3K. So I post for $1250, and the bike is gone 2 days later to the first visitor,  big guy (6'5") who knows what he wants and almost fits it - more stem, and a 800mm riserbar is what I recommended. In my mask and nitril gloves and a pile of Benjamins, I watched him ride Scott away - actually on the big Diety flat pedals I couldn't quite ever get right for me.



SO I maybe lowballed the price - it was thebest deal on CL, except for a Cannondale Scalpel for $900 that moved instantly from what I could tell.

Rather than a new shock and wheel project for the Hightower, the cash from the sale immediately went into new tires for the Nissan Leaf after a father's day scare.




More coming soon on the Hightower...bye Scott!











No comments:

Post a Comment