Sunday, August 18, 2024

What To Do with Old Blue? Could have just Swapped pedals.

I had awakened all fired up to ride at 6:30 in the morning all by myself,  

So my shoes were still wet from BBC All Club ride, a 70+ mile ordeal that included big stints in the rain along the Bo-Fax climb, 7 Sisters, Pan-tol highway all the way into Mill Valley. Complete soakage, but I survived it and felt better the longer the ride went.

The dirty White Lines (Ridley Fenix) was still in the stand, ready to go with a few wipes and chain lube, but my shoes were still wet. I could not easily find/see my trainer shoes and took the mental leap to lets just take Old Blue! Tires were aired from Wednesday, and the brakes, I love those brakes!


So I get to Strada Cafe around 7:30, get a Cappuccino and wait for the lazy crew. But no, I get Mike S. Tough hammer Mike S. I had concern because Old Blue is undergeared and over-rubbered and is not used to the hammering life, serving mostly donut-Fridays and Treasure Island Tuesdays. Mike wants the flats and promises to wait so what could go wrong?


It began with a creaking at mile 20 or so after I took a big pull on San Pablo. Mike pointed out there was not much gap on the left side of the tire in the frame - maybe the wheel was out of the dropouts? Nope, continue on.

Sisis, we stop for a nature break and I perform a general bolt check. All tight, check the rear-wheel dropouts again.

Then the chain went around mile 28, gently when I began to stand up on the pedals up the hill Fortunately I had a great park chain tool in the saddle bag, waiting for this day. 2 links out and we were off again. Additional noise but I carefully rode up Pinehurst, left Mike at Tunnel and rode home.

All the way I though about What Do I do with Old Blue? Fix it? Sell it as is? Remove the parts/sell the frameset?



History of Old Blue:

  1. I was cyclocrossing my MTB and decided I was finally bike worthy. CX was big 2014-2017 in the Bay Area, I still had the will to try.
  2. TRP Brakes Are Awesome, but need a place.
  3. How about a single speed CX?
    1. eccentric PF30 BB with 24mm spindle
    2. shinamo cx 2x crankset
    3. narrow/wide 34t front chainring for the crankset (not narrow wide)h
  4. That was dumb - Look others love the TRP Brakes and created a shift-mount holder? Geneveve!
  5. Dynasis 10 Speed Shimano XT Anyone? 
  6. 2024-0818 - ride today, blew that chain, bb all crunchy, dished to overdished situation
  7. 7 evening, ordered new cassette, chain and BB


Old Blue before she was stripped and put up for sale at TPC (The Pros Closet), then acquired by me in 2015. This picture might become an important reference since

the Raleigh company is apparently gone, purchased by KKR in 2022.


Dishing A Wheel The Proper Way by Park Tool, which I have one of, the nice blue one

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help/wheel-dishing-centering

No comments:

Post a Comment