Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Fixing Stripped Shimano XT M8000 Crankset Bolts

Anyone else have a problem with Torx-headed bolts? And their XT cranks? I recall 4 or 5 years ago torquing the shiny 30t chainring, maybe with a little cross-threading, thinking "this will be a bitch to
take off someday".


"Someday" was about 3 years later, the desire was to swap out the chainring for a new one due to wear. And it was a bitch and a half. 2 bolts came out with the torx as desired, the other 2 stripped in short order.  I attempted to use the Dremel
  to cut in a notch for a flathead, also failed. Looking
recently at the damage, I might have used a hacksaw too in my rage to cut the bolt.

Anyway, the result was me getting really pissed at the poor design, and bolts in general, so I went and picked up a Raceface Affect  crankset with Cinch and a pretty blue 30t Raceface  chainring. I put the M8000 damaged crank on the shelf and sort of glowered at it for the last year or so. Ongoing loosening issues with the Race Face and its backwards design, and now the need for a 1x solution for M's NS Bike had be looking for resurrection.


SO repair and rethreading the damaged hole(s) became the next approach.
First I bought a big tool and tap set, the best/highest recommended I could muster on Amazon - this one . Its a nice set for being so obviously Chinese and cheap, BUT its missing the M8 x 0.75 threading tool I needed. SO I also had to order one of these too
I used the handle from the first set to hold the plain tool. All tooled up, I had to do a little more drilling, some more tapping (ie screwing the above tool into the damaged hole.

Next problem? I tapped too much, so the threads closest to the hold opening were no longer gripping the existing bolt collection. I took out the spanner to measure 10-11mm bolt, so I would look for something longer.

I ordered some of these original Shimano 11mm Torx bolts,
and finally, THESE 12.4 mm by RaceFace,
which have the awesome property of NOT being Torx, just plain old hex, with little "Race Face" fonts wrapping the head like a tiny hotrod mag tire from a 70's Hotwheel car. Next to each other, they look identical in length but the effective length of the Race Face has them acting a little longer, biting earlier/deeper. Is that even a term, "biting"?

Anyway they seem to be long enough to reach, in one hole even too long (might be time to tap that hole too!) so I am now running 3x Raceface 5mm Hex and +1 original Torx 25.

SO the runway is clear to shop for a 12 speed 30t chainring, 96BCD or Cinch...

2 comments:

  1. I have this exact problem on both of the cranks on my bikes. One of the 4 bolts has stripped on both M8000 cranks. Just bought the M8 x .75 tap and die on Amazon. Crossing my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Luck is on your side, the longer bolts saved me. I put the crank on my son's new NS bike...

      Delete