Sunday, October 27, 2019

The FOX 34 CTD Fork (2014) Maintenance and Seal Replacement Mission!

Finding or building a cardboard box to ship the ailing Fox 34 fork to Fox so they can charge me $175 for basic service has been low priority, and tougher than clicking on Amazon to send me the elusive Fox 20wt Oil. Turns out the vendor via Amazon is now "Worldwide Cyclery", a rather aggressive/ambitious online bike + YouTube shop I will be mentioning in the next posts.
The fluid arrived in Prime time as promised (note my disclaimer at the bottom of all my pages - click the link I get a spiff) and all I needed was a window, which arrived last night, after dark, in the bike shed.


  1. Video 1: Before shed time, I warmed up with a few YouTube clips. The first was an older GMBN one specific to a fork similar to mine. Seals were NOT covered here, but the basic steps and actual hints to the mess are apparent. His fork is way too clean too.
  2. Video 2: While actually elbow deep into the destruction of my fork, I managed to pull this older video up, which focused more on the necessary CLEANING necessary - a long wooden dole is highly recommended! I lacked any handy wooden options, and ended up using an old $150 Thompson Carbon flat bar as my rag-plunger. If you want to go that way, pick one up here ;)



I went to Home Depot to grab some Nitrile Gloves, sorta like this "one size fits most" - next time I will go for some sizing options.
I also looked for some isopropyl alcohol in a sprayer, or this elusive "brake cleaner" always mentioned in the Youtubers. I have 70% medical stuff, but I want the good stuff. I shopped Home Depot's WD-40 collection, and reading the hazards online and on the product, chose this rather than the available brake cleaners and degreasers offering acetone, which I know is nasty.


SO an outline of my experiences, with some pics and links to product.
  • My old floor mounted Park Tool work stand with the tiny round-tube grab - which stinks for all the modern carbon shapes - was an awesome holder for the fork while working on it.
  • I did not have the tool(s) to punch off the airshaft, as in video 1. So I partially screwed the bolts on each chamber, and using the socket as a punch, tapped with my big rubber mallet. No real progress.
    • Video 2 was much better, using metal on  the metal and a real hammer and a tap is all it took in the end - after scarring the finish on the bolts from the sockets, of course.
  • This is a MESSY business. I bitch about my Stan's Bubble Baths during tubeless installs and bleeding Shimano Brakes/spraying Mineral Oil, but doing shocks is the worst - nasty stuff coming out 2 sides at once. 
    • Lots of paper towels, attempts at the degreaser and my 70% medical Isopropyl - the gloves were indispensable, but even with gloves I was touching stuff all over. Clearly I need more practice.
    • I had some cloth rags (cut up an old Banana Republic dress shirt) and the aforementioned handlebar to reach into the tubes to clean out the insides as per Video 2.
  • Is my fork damaged? The Kashima Coating looks like its been worn a bit thin on the exposed stanchions
    • The sweeps were filthy, the seals a little less so, but I might be too late to save the fork(?)
    • Installing the new sweeps, after installing the seals, was easy as per the videos.
  • Unlike videos 1 or 2 above, the oil dripping from MY FORK was of 2 different colors - yellowish on the damper side, and blue on the air side. I did see the blue "float" oil from the air chamber a few weeks back but only from the top, which I did NOT remove for this service.
    • Did someone build or service this backwards at some point? (I thought it was NOS when I purchased)
    • OR is something broken?
  • REMOVING the seals required a little more force than Video 2 indicates. I also only had a 17mm open-spanner, vs the 19mm, and my fork is a 34 vs a 32 maybe?
    • The metal springs popped out first.
    • When trying to use pliers, I tore the top of the old seals.
  • INSTALLING the new seals was tough too without the magic tool. Black rubber mallet was employed, I hope without too much damage.
    • The crush washers from the kit worked great. The kit: 
    • I soaked my new "sweeps" as per instructed, but I did not clean them in time as I started video 2 part way in.
  • After much cleaning of the lowers and the floor and the tools (seriously, just messy), INJECTING the Fox 20wt Oil went smoothly too. I used these syringes, sucking up the remaining oil from the plastic container pictured above used to soak the seals.
    • These syringes are ONLY 20ml, my forks required 30cc each side of the fork as per the FOX Bath Oil Volume Chart
      • a larger syringe would be smoother, though I worked in 10ml gulps to slurp all the oil from my plastic bin
      • again, I had blue "float oil" I presume, dripping out.
    • My fork 4 digit code is CL7M, found here: 
  • I have a 5cc of the Fox Float oil I purchased for this job. The chart indicates I can take 30cc- I assume this goes into the air chamber ABOVE - which seems HUGE, and expensive to get nearly this much in there
    • I might add my 5cc to act as a volume spacer, which got me into this mess in the first place!
  • AND after putting it all back together, the best part - the test ride!
    • The night ride at 1 am showed lots of oil all over the Kashima - made me nervous, all leaky?
    • This am, I zipped on the fender, adjusted brake, and I hit the road and then dirt. No black gook, they did feel the same and nearly bottomed out as per the "fun meter"





No comments:

Post a Comment