Thursday, September 19, 2019

Fork Maintenance My Way: The Swap!

Given the bad luck I have had understanding my Fox 34 FIT CTD 2014 140mm fork the past few weeks, I glumly tried to order the parts for a lower form maintenance.

Fox 20wt oil, a graduated syringe, a set actually, and a new SKS sweeps and seal kit for 34mm forks.

I watched YouTube of Fox mechanics unbolting the lowers and cleverly using hammers to break loose the lower legs of what I hope is close to my fork. I read charts on the levels of fluid I need to add for my exact fork, confused over the 20wt gold and something called "Fox Float Fluid" sold in pillows. Okay, so order one of those too.

The seals arrive Monday, giving me 2 days to actually do the work. I imagine myself Tuesday midnight learning the next lesson in the Fox fork game. Enough!

I got up and went to measure the length of the trusty Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm 46mm offset (huh?) on my son's Scout 290. 180, no 190 mm, maybe 5 mm shorter than the Fox. Also, this fork is newer, works with plastic (vs oil) volume spacers and has 35mm stations, which is more than 34mm. SOLD, we are gonna swap em!

So tonight, I did the deed. Smooth transplant accept for getting the Cane Creek headset bearing race off the Fox, the Rubber mallet again proved its worth.

The resulting Hightower - besides steerer length, the color is good!

And the Scout, with the Fork sorta on but cable not committed:




After Downieville, I will build a box to send the Fox to Sparks Nevada, unless I decide to acquire more Pike's in my life.

I'll do a test on dirt in the AM - hopefully I will enjoy the results and worry about the non-riding bits of the upcoming trip - woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment