Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Hightower gets a 46t, new chain and cable housing + cable

As in the title, the prep on Santa Creme the Hightower continues.

The best "deal" I got on SLX chain and cassette was from REI - better than Amazon. I went SLX after not seeing a big weight advantage with XT, and in fact there exist forum chains claiming to GO SLX all the way, and spend money on the SHIFTER, XTR if possible. Hmm.

Also, to match the weight of XT, use the XT cassette binding/threaded ring. Done!


The next issue was making sure my 11speed XT could run the big 46t gear. Barely, so barely, I was
losing the tiny gear or the 46t when adjusting the B-screw. Then it seemed to actually be the tension.
After much struggling, I noticed the housing sort of jumping out of the shifter, on a mangled metal furrel. Doh!

I got to Sports Basement just before closing to get a new housing and cable, slapped it in to make the Saturday early AM ride. Worked so well that I forgot I had upgraded until I got to the trailhead.

46t was sweet, I almost made it up JM's nasty "Big Trees" climb, the closest in years. The cable did get pulled/fell out somewhere down Chaparrel, requiring a stop, tool unpack, and even reading glasses from the backpack, but overall, a success.

The Fox 34 left all sorts of black gooeyness on the "Kashima" coating, hope it survives Downieville. Maybe swap out Z's Pike for the trip?

1 comment:

  1. looks like a chainline issue - 142mm to 148mm boost adapter on this wheel, off by 3mm inboard

    ReplyDelete